How do you ensure that you are producing valuable content in 2013?
More and more businesses and companies are realizing the value of creating and sharing unique content and using both their website and social media to attract and engage with existing and new customers. Some are building and marketing their businesses and gaining double digit growth through social media and educating their customer base along the way. Pages and pages of new copy, blogs, videos, infographics, and ebooks are being produce every day. Some of it is brilliant – most of it isn’t, and it’s certainly not all getting the results its creators hoped for.
‘Content’ is the words on the page you are reading. It’s the copy on your website, the blog you posted last night, the videos and images that you share. When we’re talking about content we just mean words, knowledge and information.
‘Valuable content’ is supercharged information- words, knowledge that is written and shared to a particular audience. This is content with bigger purpose, useful and meaningful to your clients that triggers an emotional response.
“To be valuable, content must have uniqueness at the client level, and it must be meaningful.”-Charles H Green, author of The Trusted Advisor.
So how do we product valuable content that educates, is personal and giving answers to your clients that will really help them?
We can start by answering these questions which helps you to develop a deep understanding of your client and their problems that you can help solve.
- What do they genuinely care about?
- What problems or potential issues are they facing that they are reacting to?
- What questions are they asking?
- What answers can you give them that will really help them?
If you want to create content that your audience will value, to find the answers, you need to talk, listen and engage with your team and people that interact with your clients and other stakeholders.
Valuable Content is:
There are some attributes on developing valuable content that gets read, shared and acted upon.
- Helpful – It makes a difference, it answers a genuine question.
- Entertaining – Provokes a reaction. Smile, laugh, or think – people respond to it and want to share it.
- Authentic – Genuine and original. Written from the heart, it tells a story that people understand and respond to.
- Relevant– It is rooted firmly in the client’s world, it makes perfect sense.
- Timely – it is sent out at the right time, it hits the audience when they are most receptive.
Businesses that really win exhibit all these qualities across the variety of content they put out there. They start from a point of deep understanding and a desire to help, and then they get creative.
Where do you start?
Get to know your clients better, conduct a survey, hear their comments, then valuable content at the heart of your marketing. This thoughtful, joined up approach will pay dividends.
It takes work and commitment – it’s not all simple, you’ll need to take some risks and probably make a few mistakes along the way.
Marketing with valuable content gives you the most fantastic opportunity to build your business, starting right now. Why not seize it?